La Union - #Project81Ph

Traveling solo is one of my must-do things included in my "Before I Turn 30" list. I know, it's a bit corny to have such list, but in my defense, I just want to track my progress in life as time goes by. It does not hurt anyway, so I suggest you to do it too. It's a way to look forward to life and it actually gives you motivation to strive harder. (^^,)

Last November, I decided to do it and I chose the beautiful province of La Union. It was not my first time in ElYu, I've been in La Union for family vacations before, but going solo is another story. Thank God for technology (internet connection, google maps and informative blogs) and my courageous always-on-the-go personality (and also the bonus I got from work) I was able to come through!



From Manila, it usually takes 4 to 5 hours to reach La Union. Here are some ways to get there:

Commute:

Ride Dominion Bus at Cubao (or any buses en-route to Ilocos/ Abra like Partas, Florida and Viron). Fare is 435 pesos.

Private Vehicle:

Take North Luzon Expressway (NLEX) then connect thru (SCTEX) an then connect thru (TPLEX). From there, choose the exit depending on your desired destination. You can always use navigating apps like Google maps and Waze anyway. :)

Visited Places

A 2-day trip is never enough to explore La Union, but I opted to visit places where it is not crowded (usually San Juan). My plan is to really relax and enjoy being with only myself. :) Here are the places visited while in La Union.

Bangar, La Union


Bangar Plaza 

Bangar is a first class municipality in La Union. Its name was derived from Bangar tree, which is abundant in the municipality. 

St. Christopher Church


Also known as "Bangar Church", St. Christopher is the patron saint of travelers. It was built in 1870s. Some parts of it were already renovated. What I love about this church is the interior design, especially the murals painted on the ceiling. It is the perfect church for travelers like me! Too bad at the time of my visit, their souvenir shop is closed so i wasn't able to buy St. Christopher pendant.  



Different paintings at the ceiling of St. Christopher's church. The right side depicts the stations of the cross and the left side showcases different church's traditions. The altar is glittering with its gold paint.

Luna Monument



Luna Monument is dedicated to Antonio Luna, a general who fought for the freedom of the Philippines in the time of American colonization. The city of Luna was once called "Namacpacan", which means "one who feeds" in Ilocano vocabulary. It was the renamed to Luna to honor the Luna brothers, Antonio Luna and Juan Luna (painter of the world famous Spolarium). You can also visit the nearby Luna Park.




St. Catherine of Alexandia Parish


Also known as Namacpacan Church, it was declared as a National Cultural Treasure by the National Museum of the Philippines. It is considered as an Earthquake Baroque Church, which has thick walls and buttress because the church is located in an earthquake prone area. 

Jesus's monument at the church's garden

Church's interior design
What I love about the church is its facade, the beautiful combination of white, grey and blue with asymmetrical design. The church is huge inside and can accommodate at least 300 persons. The altar looks grand and elegant, filled with gold paintings. The ceiling is filled with gold chandeliers and gold linings. It is perfect for weddings since the church has a very long aisle. There are several sculptures outside the chapel as well.



Baluarte (Old Spanish Watchtower)



Also known as Baluarte, it served as warning for the pirates (Chinese, Japanese, etc) going in the town of Luna who steals and loots their belongings.

At the time of my visit, the watchtower is under renovation, as per command by the provincial government.


Bahay na Bato Open Art Gallery



There are lots of different art collections in here! Sculptures made of pebbles, paintings from local artists, equipment used by the Luna ancestors for farming are displayed. This place is open for different events and perfect for photoshoot.

At the time of my visit, the entrance fee is only 20 pesos. There is a mini-restaurant inside but you can also bring your own food for lunch.  Below are some of my favorite artworks and spot in this place. (click photo to enlarge) :)








The garden is so relaxing and serene. Just pray that it wouldn't rain when you visit this place coz there are beautiful spot at the garden. Bahay na Bato Art Gallery is open from 6 AM to 8 PM.

Pebble Beach




If you are looking for fine white sand beach, this is not the place for you. From its name, Pebble Beach, it is very evident why it was called that way. The sea shore is filled with pebbles. Despite that, the water is very clear and you can see fishes swimming near the shore line.

One has to be cautious when swimming to this beach because there are uneven sea floor and corals are almost everywhere. I enjoyed the calm and relaxing aura of the place, it gave me time to reflect and just be peaceful. It actually helps with a bottle (or two) of beer beside you.


So there you have it, my first solo trip! I suggest you do this once in your life, and your perspective to solo travelling will never be the same.

Work hard, travel more.

Sheen <3

Comments

Popular Posts